San Antonio’s 26th local historic district.
The quiet, secluded neighborhood, tucked between the San Antonio River, the interstate, and the Brackenridge Park Golf Course, is characterized by narrow, winding, tree-shaded streets and a distinctive collection of early 20th century residences. The homes include Bungalows, Tudor Revival cottages, minimal traditional houses, and other eclectic styles.
Neighbors with Davis/Alison Park, Brackenridge Park, Brackenridge Park Golf Course, The DoSeum, The Witte Museum, Trinity University, San Antonio Zoo, University of Incarnate Word, The Historic Pearl Brewery, Fort Sam Houston, and the San Antonio River.
River Road Historic District is a short walk/bike ride away from it all!
The River Road Historic District is a neighborhood comprised of multiple plats dating from 1913 through approximately 1950. The majority of the area was platted in the 1920s, and most of the housing stock is reflective of the time period. The historic district is bounded by Allison Road and Trail on the north, E. Craig Place on the south, River Road and the San Antonio River on the east, and U.S. Hwy 281 on the west.
Developer H.J. Allen platted the area known as "Belmont Place by the River" in 1913, which included Armour Place, McKinney Place (now Woodlawn Avenue), E. Craig Place, and Preston Street (now Lindell Place). Many homes had been constructed within this area by 1927. Records indicate that three homes were constructed by 1929 on Lindell Place. Magnolia Place was platted in 1929 and included Magnolia Avenue,Magnolia Drive, and portions of Ostrom Drive, Lindell Place, and Dewberry.